Warmed IV fluids - expiration?

Butler, Kathy KMB4R@hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 13:51:15 -0400

"What does sodium chloride solution bread down into?"  Sounds like a
question for Baxter at 1-800-933-0303. I don't think you are looking for the
obvious answer.
Their faxed sheet states for large volume parenterals "prolonged storage at
higher temperatures (as compared to room temp), may accelerate changes in
final product."  Warming recommendations for "Arthromatic" and "Uromatic"
irrigation solutions for 45C for no longer than 14 days or 66C for no longer
than 72 hours.  Irrigation solution in plastic pour bottles, 66C for no
longer than 72 hours.
Perhaps the Viaflex plastic container itself breaks down, contributing
chemicals to the solution?????